I am so angry I am ready to spit.
This week marks the completion of one month blogging on this site – my first, very tiny milestone. In the much bigger scheme of things, this week also marks the 50th anniversary of Vatican II. For both of these reasons, I was anxious to return to the original spirit I promised in launching – to ‘celebrate’ our place in the church, and to focus on the Good News inherent in Scripture, and in the rest of the Christian tradition.
Indeed there is good news, and I will return to it the rest of the week – but for now, I have to express my anger at the latest affront from the Vatican. (Until I have had time to calm down though, I will not attempt comment of my own – just present the bare facts, and link to flesh out the story. ) In the week of the Vatican II anniversary, in a move clearly timed to coincide with it, Benedict has chosen to mark the occasion by reinstating 4 Lefevrist bishops, one of whom is so off-the-wall right wing it makes one’ s hair stand on end. Oh, and the timing gets better: not only were the Vatican rebels welcomed back with open arms to co-incide with the 50th Anniversary, but the rehabilitation of the holocaust denier was done just days before the rest of the world remembers international Holocaust Memorial Day.
- The Man Benedict Has Brought In From The Cold>
- Pope Benedict XVI Rehabilitates Holocaust Denier
- Rome says lifting of Ban on Dissidents Timed to Coincide with Vatican II Anniversary
- Healing Schism, Pope Risks Another
- Dubious Holocaust Lessons 2009
Lifting the ban on these wingnuts, whose original fall from grace was based on their opposition to Vatican II, follows hard on the heels of the silencing of more progressive voices:
- The Silence/ing of Roger Haight, SJ
- Father Roger Haight Barred From Teaching
- Father Geoffrey Farrow Blocked From New Job
- Canon Law vs Conscience: Fr Roy Bourgeois excommunicated
There is a lot more I would like to say on both of these, but will wait until I have calmed down.
I hope to have more positive material later.